Category: From Plan to Place
Entrant: Town of Gawler, URPS, WAX Design
The Gawler town centre is a lively and well-functioning place where people want to come and spend time, and where businesses are thriving.
A Strategic Framework, adopted in 2013, set a clear vision for the town centre and set a new tone for how Council, businesses and the community would work together in creating a bright future for the town centre.
This framework was developed to respond the limited expansion capacity and in the context of population growth and competition from nearby regional shopping centres.
The Framework has been embraced across all parts of Council, with new events being hosted in the town centre, as well as new physical works projects and changes to planning policy.
Council secured federal funding to progress the Gawler Connect project, a $12.8Million project that will create a community and enterprise/digital hub in the State Heritage listed Institute and Town Hall buildings in the heart of the town centre.
Partnerships have been key, with Council and the Gawler Business Development Group working together to attract new events and activities to Gawler, as well as the innovative Hero Building project to improve heritage facades of main street businesses, and town centre branding.
- Town Centre Strategic Framework, completed in 2013, is guiding activities by Council, the Gawler Business Development Group and community
- Range of physical works improving conditions for movement through the town centre
- Destination established through events such as the Gawler Fringe, Farmer’s Market, outdoor cinema and SALA
- $6.5 Million of private sector investment in new and upgraded businesses, with new outdoor dining policy resulting in 80 new outdoor seats
- Sustained community engagement across all stages of planning and project delivery.
Vote below and you could WIN
Dowel Jones Thimble Low Stool in Horizon Blue.
Thanks to 1k Chairs