The rice pudding is a traditional dish common as a breakfast or dinner dish in the Nordic countries.
In Sweden it is called ‘risgrynsgröt’ (meaning rice porridge) but it if often referred to by another name ‘tomtegröt’, which roughly translates to ‘Christmas elf porridge’. This is a heartwarming dish that we have enjoyed as a family since we were very young and is often associated with cold winter nights.
As it can be cooked over many hours, it fills the home with a distinct sweet smell that almost every Swede would associate with a cosy nights indoors with family while the snow falls outside. At New Nordic we serve this dish with a glögg (mulled wine) cherry syrup and crumbled gingerbread.
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 1 tablespoon butter
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup short-grained, glutinous rice
– 4 1/2 cups milk
– Cinnamon sugar and butter to taste
1. Rinse the rice well and drain.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring one and a half cups of water, butter and salt to a rapid boil over high heat.
3. Pour in the rice, stir constantly to prevent sticking.
4. Reduce the heat to low. Stir the rice until it boils. Reduce to a simmer.
5. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes (until the rice has absorbed most of the water).
6. Add the milk to the rice, stir to incorporate. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then immediately reduce the heat to low.
7. Once reduced to a simmer, cover the pot and allow it to cook, without stirring, for 45 minutes. Be careful here to avoid it scorching.
8. Serve warm with cinnamon sugar and butter to taste. You can also serve it with cold milk poured over the top.
New Nordic is a modern example of Scandinavian cuisine that integrates traditional Nordic dishes with Australian ingredients.
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it offers the full Nordic dining experience. The restaurant is located five minutes from the CBD and is on the bottom floor of the brand new Palace Nova cinema complex.
New Nordic is fully licensed and has a broad selection of unique cocktails and local wines making it the perfect place to meet at any time of the day.