A classic recipe from a classic cook, Maggie Beer’s zucchini quiche with brown rice and almond pastry is an ideal dish to share with friends.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minute
– 3/4 cup (120g) brown rice flour
– 1 cup ground almonds
– 1/2 tspn baking powder
– 2 tbspns cornflour
– 1/2 tspn sea salt
– 4 tbspns Maggie Beer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 free range egg
– 1 free range egg yolk
– 2 tbspns Maggie Beer Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
– 3 (150g) golden shallots, finely chopped
– 2 medium (350g) zucchinis
– 3 free range eggs
– 3/4 cup thickened cream
– Maggie Beer Tomato and Sultana Chutney, to serve
– Mixed baby herbs, to garnish
1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180C.
2. Grease a 13cm x 35cm fluted rectangular tart tin with removable base, set aside.
3. To make the pastry, place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough just comes together.
4. Turn out onto a work bench and pinch off a walnut size ball. Keep this aside in case you need to patch any fine cracks after baking.
5. Shape the dough into a rectangle about 10cm x 20cm. Place the pastry inside the greased tart tin and press evenly across the base and up the sides.
6. Place onto a baking tray and place into the preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Don’t be tempted to cook the pastry too long or it will start to crack. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 1650C.
7. Meanwhile, to make the filling, place a small non-stick frying pan over a high heat, add the olive oil and once hot, sauté off the golden shallots until soft (approximately 4 minutes), then remove and set aside.
8. Grate the zucchini, squeeze out all the water, then set aside.
9. Place the eggs and cream into a mixing bowl and whisk together, season to taste and mix through the cooked shallots and zucchini.
10. Pour this mixture into the tart shell and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the custard is just set and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the tart tin.
11. To serve, cut into 6 even pieces, scatter with baby herbs (optional) and serve warm with chutney.